Search Member Arbitrators
David Alderson, LL.B, LL.M, Q.Arb
David has been accredited by the ADR Institute of Canada as a Qualified Arbitrator (Q.Arb), He accepts appointments as a commercial arbitrator and as a marine arbitrator, at reasonable hourly rates and with good availability. David has acted as counsel in both domestic and international arbitration, including institutional and ad hoc and arbitration.
The Ontario Superior Court of Justice has appointed David in commercial arbitration matters. He is a member of the Toronto Commercial Arbitration Society, and has successfully completed the Toronto Commercial Arbitration Society Gold Standard Course in Commercial Arbitration. David is also a Full Member of the ADR Institute of Ontario and appears in its Roster Member Directory.
He has lived and practiced law in Ontario, England, Bermuda and Dubai. He is also admitted in New York State. His LL.B (Osgoode) and LL.M (Lond.) Commercial and Corporate were granted in 1980 and 1988.
Local and International Experience
David has appeared as a barrister in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice (including the Commercial List), the Divisional Court, the Ontario Court of Appeal, the Federal Court (Canada), Federal Court of Appeal (Canada) and the Supreme Court of Canada; as an instructing solicitor in the English High Court of Justice (Commercial and Admiralty Courts, and Chancery) and the Court of Appeal; and as a barrister in the Supreme Court of Bermuda. He has legal experience in arbitration in Ontario, England, Bermuda and Dubai under different institutional and ad hoc rules, in a wide variety of matters, but mainly focused on the practice areas of insurance, reinsurance, business disputes, international trade, and marine matters.
He has a strong background in the practice of law in bringing and responding to motions for urgent equitable remedies such as Mareva injunctions / freezing orders, Norwich orders, and Anton Piller orders during his practice in England and Ontario. He co-authored both the Bermuda and UAE chapters of earlier editions of the Attachment of Assets (Juris).
Preferred Arbitration Appointments.
Business Disputes, Commercial Arbitration, Commercial Leasing Disputes, Condominium Arbitration, Construction Disputes, Contract Disputes Disputes between Professionals in Business (Architectural, Dental, Legal and Marine-Industry), Distribution Agreement Disputes, Employment Disputes, Franchise Disputes, International Sale of Goods Disputes, Joint Venture Disputes, Management Disputes, Marine and Maritime Disputes (Cargo Claims, Charterparty Disputes, Freight Forwarding Disputes, Sale of Ship Disputes, Shipbuilding Disputes and Large Yacht Disputes), Partnership Disputes, Property Disputes, Sale of Goods Disputes, Shareholder Disputes and Reinsurance Disputes.
Speaking Engagements on Arbitration Subjects
David has spoken to lawyers at Continuing Legal Education events, and given interviews to legal publications on matters concerning arbitration, including:
- June 4, 2020 (to be held) David will provide a talk and workshop at the ADR Institute of Ontario 2020, 35th Annual General Meeting and Professional Development Conference, on June 4, 2020, entitled “Keep Them Calm and Arbitrate On: Sources of Commercial Arbitration Conflict & Tools / Techniques for Conflict Minimization”.
- Law Times Cover Story July 20, 2018: “OCA upholds U.S. rabbinical court’s award. Province a leader in international commercial arbitration” concerning Popack v. Lipszyc, 2018 ONCA 635 (Quoted)
- Law Times Cover Story – Enforce Arbitration Agreements: Ruling, November 21, 2016, Re: Haas v. Gunasekaram,2016 ONCA 744 (Co-counsel on motion)
- Panelist at the Law Society of Ontario Continuing Professional Development program, The Annotated Partnership Agreement 2015, on the panel entitled “Review of the Differences (Legal and Drafting) Between a Partnership and a Joint Venture – Understanding the Significant Consequences“. This included discussion on the use of arbitration clauses in international joint venture agreements.
- New Developments in Emergency Arbitration Procedures – Interview Published in Law Times (April 2013)
- ABA Annual Meeting, Section of Litigation event “Strategic Choices in International Arbitration: the Impact of Forum Selection and Choice-of-Law Decisions” covering competence-competence doctrine, severability (separability) and judicial intervention in determining the jurisdiction of a tribunal; and the enforcement of arbitral awards, including public policy exclusion to enforcement and the effect of local limitation periods in the recognition and enforcement of foreign arbitration awards in UNCITRAL / Model law jurisdictions (August 2011)
Contact the Intake Coordinator at (416) 979 2020, ext. 223 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Hourly Rates: Fee rate on application: from $350.00 per hour, plus facilities and applicable taxes.
Business Disputes | Commercial Leasing Disputes | Condominium Disputes | Contract Disputes | Disputes between Professionals in Business (Architectural, Dental, Legal and Marine-Industry) | Distribution Agreement Disputes | Employment Disputes | Franchise Disputes | International Sale of Goods Disputes | Joint Venture Disputes | Management Disputes | Marine and Maritime Disputes | Partnership Disputes | Property and Real Estate Disputes | Sale of Goods Disputes | Shareholder Disputes | Reinsurance Disputes.
David Alderson, LL.B, LL.M, Q.Arb
c/o Gilbertson Davis LLP Arbitration & Mediation Chambers
6 Adelaide Street E. Suite 800, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5C 1H6
416-979-2020 ext 230 | Availability: 416 979-2020 ext 223
email@example.com | Availability: firstname.lastname@example.org
www.gilbertsondavis.com Arbitrator David Alderson (click here)
David Alderson, LL.B, LL.M, Q.Arb has not posted any articles.