Search Member Arbitrators
David accepts appointments as a commercial arbitrator and as a marine arbitrator, at reasonable hourly rates and with good availability. David has acted as counsel in both domestic and international arbitration, including AAA arbitration, ICDR International Rules, ICC arbitration, LMAA arbitration, GAFTA arbitration, and various other ad hoc and non-institutional arbitration.
David Alderson has been appointed as a commercial arbitrator by order of the Ontario Superior Court of Justice. He is a member of the Toronto Commercial Arbitration Society.
He has lived and practised law in Ontario, England, Bermuda and Dubai. He is also admitted in New York State. His LL.B (Osgoode) and LL.M (Lond.) were granted in 1980 and 1988, respectively. David’s post-graduate legal studies, designated as Commercial and Corporate, were comprised of the study of marine insurance, insurance, carriage of goods by sea and maritime law.
Local and International Experience
David has appeared as a barrister in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice (including the Commercial List), the Divisional Court, the Ontario Court of Appeal, the Federal Court (Canada), Federal Court of Appeal (Canada) and the Supreme Court of Canada; as an instructing solicitor in the English High Court (Commercial and Admiralty Courts, and Chancery) and the House of Lords (now UK Supreme Court) Appeals Committee; and as a barrister in the Supreme Court of Bermuda.
Preferred Arbitration Appointments
He has legal experience in arbitration in Ontario, England, Bermuda and Dubai under different institutional and ad hoc rules, in a wide variety of matters, but mainly focused on the practice areas of insurance, reinsurance, business disputes, international trade, and marine matters, including arbitration concerning:
Building Disputes, Business Disputes, Commercial Leasing Disputes, Construction Disputes, Contract Disputes Disputes between Professionals in Business (Architectural, Dental, Legal and Marine-Industry), Distribution Agreement Disputes, Employment Disputes, Franchise Disputes, International Sale of Goods Disputes, Joint Venture Disputes, Management Disputes, Marine and Maritime Disputes (Cargo Claims, Charterparty Disputes, Freight Forwarding Disputes, Sale of Ship Disputes, Shipbuilding Disputes and Large Yacht Disputes), Partnership Disputes, Property Disputes, Sale of Goods Disputes, Shareholder Disputes and Reinsurance Disputes.
Additional arbitration subject interest: travel, tourism, sports and entertainment arbitration.
Speaking Engagements on Arbitration Subjects
David has spoken to lawyers at Continuing Legal Education events, and given interviews to legal publications on matters concerning arbitration, including:
- Law Times Cover Story July 20, 2018: “OCA upholds U.S. rabbinical court’s award. Province a leader in international commercial arbitration” concerning Popack v. Lipszyc, 2018 ONCA 635 (Quoted)
- Law Times Cover Story – Enforce Arbitration Agreements: Ruling, November 21, 2016, Re: Haas v. Gunasekaram,2016 ONCA 744 (Co-Counsel on motion)
- Panelist at the Law Society of Upper Canada Continuing Professional Development program, The Annotated Partnership Agreement 2015, on the panel entitled “Review of the Differences (Legal and Drafting) Between a Partnership and a Joint Venture – Understanding the Significant Consequences“. This included discussion on the use of arbitration clauses in international joint venture agreements.
- New Developments in Emergency Arbitration Procedures – Interview Published in Law Times (April 2013)
- ABA Annual Meeting, Section of Litigation event “Strategic Choices in International Arbitration: the Impact of Forum Selection and Choice-of-Law Decisions” covering competence-competence doctrine, severability (separability) and judicial intervention in determining the jurisdiction of a tribunal; and the enforcement of arbitral awards, including public policy exclusion to enforcement and the effect of local limitation periods in the recognition and enforcement of foreign arbitration awards in UNCITRAL / Model law jurisdictions (August 2011)
Contact the Intake Coordinator at (416) 979 2020, ext. 223 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Hourly Rates: Fee rate on application: from $350.00 per hour, plus facilities and applicable taxes.
Building Disputes | Business Disputes | Commercial Leasing Disputes | Construction Disputes | Contract Disputes | Disputes between Professionals in Business (Architectural, Dental, Legal and Marine-Industry) | Distribution Agreement Disputes | Employment Disputes | Franchise Disputes | International Sale of Goods Disputes | Joint Venture Disputes | Management Disputes | Marine and Maritime Disputes (Cargo Claims, Charterparty Disputes, Freight Forwarding Disputes, Sale of Ship Disputes, Shipbuilding Disputes and Large Yacht Disputes ) | Partnership Disputes | Property Disputes | Sale of Goods Disputes | Shareholder Disputes | Reinsurance Disputes.
David Alderson c/o
Gilbertson Davis Arbitration & Mediation Services
Gilbertson Davis LLP
6 Adelaide Street E. Suite 800, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5C 1H6
416-979-2020 ext 230 | Availability: 416 979-2020 ext 223
|Email:||email@example.com | Availability: firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Website:||www.gilbertsondavis.com Arbitrator David Alderson (click here)|
David Alderson has not posted any articles.