Craig obtained his LLB from the University of Alberta in 2001, was called to the British Columbia Bar in May 2002 and qualified as a solicitor for England and Wales in May 2011. Prior to obtaining his law degree, Craig obtained Bachelor Degrees in Arts and Education.
Craig is an active participant in international arbitration groups and institutions, including:
- Member of the Arbitration Committee of the Canadian Committee of the ICC as is one of its listed arbitrators
- Member, International Council for Commercial Arbitration (ICCA)
- Advisory Board Member, Institute for Transnational Arbitration (ITA)
- Member, Panel of Arbitrators, British Columbia International Commercial Arbitration Centre (BCICAC)
- Member of the International Centre for Dispute Resolution (ICDR) dedicated panel of arbitrators handling small to intermediate sized cases on an expedited basis
- Member, London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA)
- Member, International Bar Association, International Arbitration Section
- Member of the Western Canada Commercial Arbitration Society (WCCAS)
Craig has been recognized as a “Future Star in British Columbia” in Arbitration in the 2014 edition of Benchmark Canada, was nominated in the 2013 edition of Expert Guides as a “Rising Star in Commercial Arbitration” and is Martindale-Hubbell® AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated.
His representative work includes:
- Appointed Sole Arbitrator by the BCICAC in an international arbitration in relation to a dispute over the termination of a consultancy agreement.
- Represented a Canadian pharmaceutical company in an ICC arbitration.
- Represented a UK marine procurement company in an ICC arbitration.
- Represented a Canadian mining company in a UNCITRAL arbitration.
- Represented a Portuguese cement company in an ICC arbitration.
- Represented a US satellite manufacturer in an ICC arbitration and ad hocproceedings.
- Represented a British Columbia government-owned entity in domestic arbitration proceedings.
- Represented a Russian energy company in an ICC arbitration.
- Represented a Canadian software company in two international arbitrations under the BCICAC rules.
- Represented an international energy company in an ICSID proceeding against a South American State.
- Represented an international energy company in two ICSID proceedings against a former CIS State.
- Represented States in Europe and Africa in ICSID proceedings arising out of the Energy Charter Treaty and an investor’s claims relating to mining rights, respectively.
- Acted as tribunal secretary to Jan Paulsson in Pantechniki S.A. Contractors & Engineers v. Republic of Albania (ICSID Case No ARB/07/21)
- Acted as tribunal secretary in an ICC case relating to the dismantling, transportation and reconstruction of a steel plant.
Shareholder and Joint Ventures
|Firm:||Borden Ladner Gervais LLP|
|Address:||1200 – 200 Burrard Street
Vancouver BC V7X 1T2
Craig Chiasson has not posted any articles.